Friday, June 17, 2011

Wild Berries ripe for the picking!

Looks like rain in the forecast, but we'll see if there's gonna be any of it falling soon enough, weather man says 40% chance of it here, but sometimes it just passes us by. Though with black raspberries, red raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and juneberries popping up soon, we want the rain to make them nice, juicy and plump for the picking!

While driving on a backroad I came across a nice little patch of ripening black raspberries, there were a few ripe ones and I wasn't about to let the birds and animals get them before I did! With some rain coming they'll be nice and plump as long as the rain falls. The few berries that I grabbed up were about dime size, maybe a little smaller and though delicious, I would have liked them a bit bigger.

For those around here in Missouri, mainly south east and in the Ozarks area, most of us go Blackberry picking towards the end of June and mid-July when the berries are out in full measure, but though I've lived here all my life, I didn't know that we had black and red raspberries and juneberries and mulberries around until I bought a wild berries and fruits guide for Missouri, Illinois and Iowa. In the fall there's Paw Paw trees with fruit, ground Plums and so much more that grows wild, including wild Strawberries, which are so much sweeter than those from the store!

I plan on going hiking this next weekend to scout out some tasty areas that have the blooms and hopefully ripening fruits on them to come back to when the berry bushes are in full splendor with a large bucket and a hungry stomach!

No comments:

Post a Comment